Permits & Licences

Camping Permits

Interior/Backcountry Camping Permits are required for any person to occupy an interior (or backcountry) campsite within an operational provincial park such as Wabakimi Provincial Park. These permits may be purchased from the park office in Thunder Bay or from any area licensed permit issuers. Fees vary by park and by a visitor's age and place of permanent residency.

In Northern Ontario, residents of Canada may camp free of charge on Crown land for up to 21 days at any one site, except where posted otherwise. Non-residents of Canada 18 years of age or older must purchase a Crown Land Camping Permit to camp in non-operational provincial parks and conservation reserves or on Crown land that is not a regulated (green) zone or under some other similar restriction. Some Crown lands may have restricted travel zones for forest fire prevention, officially closed forest access roads and areas posted with signs to prohibit all or certain kinds of travel.

Crown Land Camping Permits may be purchased from area licence issuers or from any ServiceOntario office. Some exemptions may apply. For example, non-residents who use a camping unit rented from a commercial outfitter in Ontario (i.e., equipment used for the purpose of outdoor accommodation such as a tent) or who own real property in Ontario are not required to purchase a permit. Members of, or persons in charge of, a charitable or not-for profit organization may be eligible for exemption by applying in writing to the appropriate MNRF District Manager well in advance.

Fishing Licences

Every person who engages in recreational or sport fishing in Ontario must possess a valid fishing licence as well as an Ontario Outdoors Card. Fishing regulations go into effect January 1 of each year and are subject to updates. Anglers should check the current Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary, especially the licence options available for Canadian non-residents and international non-residents and the exemptions to the regulations for the fisheries management zone(s) in which they plan to fish.

Non-resident anglers 18 years of age or older are required to obtain a non-resident Outdoors Card in order to purchase any Ontario hunting or fishing licence other than the one-day fishing licence. The non-resident Outdoors Card allows anglers and hunters to purchase Ontario fishing and hunting licences using the internet or the automated phone system. In order to improve service to both resident and non-resident hunters and anglers, an automated licensing system has been developed for more than 2,000 private provincial licence issuers. For more information, visit the Outdoors Card Centre website.

Any non-resident 18 years of age or older who camps on Crown land in Northwestern Ontario must follow Conservation Fishing Licence limits in the following Fishing Divisions: 20, 21, 22, 22A, 24, 30, 31, 33 & 34 (except for the Border Waters Area). A Conservation Fishing Licence is a reduced catch and possession limit licence that is designed for anglers who wish to live-release the majority of fish caught. The eight-day non-resident Conservation Fishing Licence is valid for eight consecutive calendar days. A calendar day is a 24-hour period starting at midnight.

Non-residents under 18 years of age may fish without a licence if accompanied by an adult who has a valid fishing licence. Any fish kept are part of the catch and possession limit of the person who holds the licence. Optionally, non-residents under 18 years of age may purchase a licence to catch and possess their own limits.

For non-resident groups of at least five children under the age of 18 years of age, there is a special licence for members of an organized camp. This licence is available from any ServiceOntario office.

© 2018 Friends of Wabakimi
All Rights Reserved

Website developed, maintained and hosted by Syntaxis On-Line Inc.
(Bill McCarvell, Syntaxis On-Line Inc.)